Sunday 24 February 2013

A Boon in Disguise

Dear Donna and Classmates

This week has brought to me the most coveted gift. My class is organizing an event called 'AdvertoMania - 2013'. It is an inter-class event. There are four different competitions. The first is 'Witty Wits' in which the  participants write taglines for the products given to them. The second is 'ADrama' in which the participants role-play the ads making changes to those ads which they find lacking in one or two aspects. The third is 'My Product and My Ad' in which the participants come up with new ideas  and ways to sell these ideas. The fourth and the last is 'Quizo Quizzo' in which the participants are required to identify which logo represents which brand or company. They are also required to identify the jingles and the products they market.

This is something I had not expected. I was discussing the AIDA formula with the students. Suddenly a group of students stood up with the idea of organizing an event on their lips. This was a song that could not have found words if these students had not taken up the responsibility. I am luckier than I think I am. This event is going to teach a lot to my students as far as sales letters are concerned. In one of my lectures, I asked a boy to write a tagline for a company that sells mineral water. He wrote:


AS PURE AS HEART

Isn't this simply a winner? I looked at him with my mouth wide open. I could not believe my ears. If a teacher can link creativity with teaching, I think he or she can easily promote learner autonomy. As far as the project is concerned, there were some hiccups in the beginning. Now it's sailing smoothly. I have already shared the links to the videos on A-Z of Business Writing Blunders. The response, in the beginning, was not as expected. Some of the students, being busy with the assignments, could not find time to Facebook. I did not force them to Facebook. Instead I sent them to our computer lab where they could see these videos on YouTube during the 30 minute break. They did it. 

I won't write everything here. Wait for my next post. All the best with your projects. 

Dev

1 comment:

  1. Dear Dev:

    I have reviewed your project plan and I think you are doing a great job. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete